Subject: Re: the greatest singers who never appeared at the met
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 8 Oct 2018 10:20:17 -0700

Max Lorenz did indeed sing at the Met in the early mid 1930's and late
1940's. Fifty-five performances.  He debuted as Walther on Nov 11, 1931.
He sang Schwanda, Erik, Siefried, Siegmund, Tannhauser and Herod until
1934.  He returned in 1947, while Edward Johnson ruled the roost to sing
Tristan, Loge, Tannhauser, Herod and Lohengrin.  HIs last Met performance
was on March 21, 1950 as Parsifal opposite the Kundry of Helen Traubel.

Lorenz was protected by the Nazi's during the late 30's and war years
because he was the greatest Heldentenor in Germany and second only to
Melchior.  In his prime, the only one who could possibly have merited being
mentioned in the same breath as Melchior.  Lorenz needed the protection.
He was a homosexual man married to a Jewish woman whom he shared a loving
relationship.  They were devoted to eachother.  He was considered necessary
and indispensible by the authorities, thus his protected status.  From all
I have read about  him and especially the remembrances of James King who
studied with him, he was a decent and kind man.

Donald