Subject: The greatest singers who never appeared at the Met
From: Michael Delos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 8 Oct 2018 12:49:26 -0400

Dieskau I believe was in negotiation with the Met but
wanted a production of Busoni's DOKTOR FAUST, which
would never have been possible at the conservative 50s/60s
Met and he never sang there. Another poster cited Souzay,
and indeed the size of the house defeated his superb
Count in FIGARO.  Erich Kunz also didn't score as Figaro
in another season for the same reason. The broadcast
shows him to be musical and charming and with real
style, but it just didn't have impact in the cavernous Met.

Janet Baker was indeed asked but declined to sing at the
Met. Lubin couldn't honor her contract because of the War.
Jurinac canceled hers, not liking VANESSA when the score
arrived. She was approached later in her career, but it
never worked for her schedule.

Another omission is Caterina Mancini.  I never have
understood Milanov.  I gather one had to be there, and
even then, to put up with erratic passages, interspersed
with sublime ones, including what I acknowledge was a
killer pianissimo.  Going solely on the audio across 3 generations,
give me Mancini!!

I would also put Eva Turner and Rosa Raisa on the
list of those who could have and should have appeared
with the company.  I believe Raisa sang in the auditiorium,
as did Mary Garden, but only with the visiting Chicago company.
Back to Turner - how wonderful it would have been if during
Sutherland's FILLE performances they had rotated the
star turn of the Duchess of Krackenthorp among several
revered singers of past generations, giving a Met credit to
Turner for one. Other candidates for singers who would have
'deigned' to appear, given that their  career was long over?

Another mystifying Met omission not due to WW2 is the
charming Dorothy Warrenskjold.