Subject: Re: LOC and Boris Christoff (was STRIKE!!!)
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 13 Oct 2018 21:54:52 -0500

Thanks, Russ, for the suggestion.

But it occurs to me that whatever I’d have to say in such memoirs I’ve already written about here on this forum.

Perhaps a better idea would be for our mutual friend Ed Mack to undertake such a project. He’s had much more experience than I, especially his close-up work with the singers backstage. I’ve often told him that he should write a book.

Kurt Youngmann

> On Oct 13, 2018, at 7:30 PM, Russ Geschke <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> The 1960 Lyric Don Carlo is at least available on CD.  I agree completely with your view of the relative merits of Rossi-Lemeni, Christoff and Ghiaurov.  Rossi-Lemeni sounds half-way good in the Norma excerpts from Buenos Aires Teatro 1949, but then it's downhill.  But the main reason for this post is to make a public suggestion that you write your memoirs (which would be informed memoirs) of Lyric's early glorious years.  That is something that I've long thought would be invaluable.  Really.  At least consider it.

When the field is nationwide, and the fight must be waged chiefly at second and third hand, and the force of personality cannot so readily make itself felt, then all the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre -- the man who can most easily adeptly disperse the notion that his mind is a virtual vacuum. The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken - 1920