Subject: Re: The greatest singers who never appeared at the Met
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 8 Oct 2018 10:15:55 -0400

David

Your father was right - The Orfeo was "ghastly beyond belief".

Minghini Cattaneo never sang in the Western Hemisphere. The
Preiser liner notes are incorrect.

A few comments on other posts, and some additions -

Since we are determined to add everyone who sang between the
Great Flood and Rudolf Bing's tenure, I'll add

Nazzareno de Angelis
Giannina Arangi Lombardi
Eugenia Burzio
Ester Mazzoleni
Giannina Russ
Heinrich Schlusnus

Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau was a magnificent and very resonant
Barak at Munich, a theater smaller than the Met for sure.  But I
am persuaded he woukd have been heard well at the Met based
on my experience in Munich and others at Carnegie Hall.

Norman Treigle is my idea of a comprimario voice attached to a
wonderful stage presence. A great singer? Not in this house!
If you want to add another bass, try Giulio Neri, a truly great voice.

Eva Turner had a very ordinary career, and is ultimately remembered
for a couple of records and Turandot. She would never be on my
list of great singers, nor was she so considered in her own time.

Bob