Subject: Re: STRIKE!!!
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 13 Oct 2018 14:26:32 -0500

David:
     LOC has been, from a vocal and superstar standpoint, "spotty", but not for as long as your post might infer.  Throughout the 1960's and 1970's, such singers as Nilsson, Sutherland, Horne, Kraus, Domingo, Gobbi, Berganza, Corelli, Baltsa, Vickers, Tomova-Sintow, Bumbry, Freni,  Cossotto, etc, were all included in a number of seasons.
     When Bill Mason became manager, the superstar singers were never engaged.  Starting in the mid 1990's, Lyric Opera was rather short on super power stars.  We've had Radvanovsky in some of her star vehicles ----- Aida, Ballo, Norma, Anna Bolena, as well as Matthew Polenzani in a good number of performances.  But we DON'T get Florez, Kaufmann, Nebrebko, etc. at all.
     It seem hard to believe that this is a company launched by Callas, Simionato, Steber, Tebaldi, Bjoerling, Tucker, Nilsson, Borkh, Bastianini, Gobbi, Schwartzkopf, Moffo, etc.