Subject: Re: tickets for sale tonight's Met Opera Aida
From: Ron Magnuson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 13 Oct 2018 14:52:58 -0400

> On Oct 13, 2018, at 3:05 AM, Francis Immler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Sorry to be a contrarian on this, and I'm glad your experience with
> Netrebko's Aida was better than ours. But for us, based on last night, this
> just may not be her role. Maybe if her Radames had been her husband, who
> was FIRST-RATE in Fanciulla Monday night, we might think differently

He was fine as Dick Johnson in last night’s Fanciulla, but over Sirius, his voice is hardly distinguishable from the comprimarios. It is,for me, a bland, uninteresting voice that under pressure can become quite unpleasant.
Westbrook was really struggling with her B’s and high C, singing quite flat and cutting the climactic notes short to lessen the damage.
Lucic was a good sheriff.
Armiliato had problems keeping the ensembles together, with sloppy entrances a common occurrence.
The choral work was impressive, in general.
This has been a very uneven start to this year’s season to my ears.

Ron Magnuson