Subject: Re: You are rich, and you can determine the repertoire of an opera house: your season?
From: David H Spence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 13 Oct 2018 13:14:55 -0400

I would also add I Lombardi on my list, have it as part of a trio of Verdi operas with choosing
between Battaglia di Legnano, Ernani, Vespri siciliani, Simon Boccanegra, but not a Ken Burns,
I mean Stefan Herheim production of Vespri.  Dargomizhky's Rusalka and Rimsky-Korsakov's
Maid of Pskov, maybe one per season, might fit well also, but there are also Invisible City of
Kitezh, May Night, and Prokofiev's Gambler, not to mention Glinka's Russlan and Ludmila to
consider as well.  Debussy's Pelleas and Zimmermann's Die Soldaten, anybody's pick of
Rossini's Neapolitan opera seria should be there as well.  I also love Wagner's Lohengrin and
Berlioz's Troyens, in comparison with which Verdi's Aida has little to nothing to offer.