Subject: Re: tickets for sale tonight's Met Opera Aida
From: David H Spence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 13 Oct 2018 12:38:24 -0400

Thank you, Francis, for your comments.  From the few excerpts of this I've listened to, it
seems, partly out of necessity, that Luisotti has learned to streamline his manner of
conducting Verdi's Aida.  Rachvelishvili sounded good, off an extended excerpt from
probably opening night, but the voice is essentially a lyric.  As an aside, Garanca sounds
pushed up, and dramatically out of her element in the Saint-Saens, whether from Vienna or
the Met.  A constant pushing up to sing Amneris and in a barn like the Metropolitan Opera
has to eventually take its toll.

My thoughts about Netrebko from watching Act Two, Scene 1 is that for the moment - again
on opening night - she was still able to sing it, sort of.  It is hard however to get around
there being an incipient wobble and a need to be careful about what she is doing.  Think
Tamara Milashkina (who'd have a really major career today), Stefka Evstatieva, late career
Tomowa-Sintow or late career Vishnevskya.  How much more 'butter and eggs ...... ?'  Most
of all, there is the consideration that she may only be able to do so many performances of a
part like this, especially in a house like the Met, before doing lasting damage to her voice.

I do not get the hype over Quinn Kelsey, whose Schaunard in 2008 I admit i found
impressive in what was otherwise a really dreary cast for La Boheme (the April moviecast,
broadcast that year).   There is a certain fawning over himself, over what voice he has, how
he is able to make it carry.  Almost all other considerations as to interpretation, what
character he should be putting across can just be put aside, just that we can have an
Amonasro, di Luna or Germont who can project well.

Getting excited over an Aida over the presence of just one or two singers in the cast who
can sing and interpret their parts too much resembles for me a dumbing down  to Wortham
Center or Houston Grand Opera standards.  And even, as Francis very well indicates, the
one (Rachvelishvili) or two who might be worth the ticket price is or are not even reliable.

In 1999, HGO had Larissa Diadkova and Stephen O'Mara in their respective roles with Oren
Gradus as the King, in 2007 a slightly aging Dolora Zajick and Tigran Martirossyan (Ramfis)
and otherwise one has to take 'whatever', more or less.  Even a frequently wonderful singer
like Anja Harteros can find the title role of Aida too much.  In such an instance, this work
becomes a waste, a really unnecessary waste of vocal capital, and I must ask, just for
what?  Jonas Kaufmann, probably by comparison with Antonenko the past two weeks,
probably would sound good now, but is otherwise terribly mediocre as is Semenchuk.

All the neglected Rossini, even some early Verdi that should be heard considerably more
often (Lombardi, Battaglia di Legnano), it is a real crying shame that a clearly second-tier
work like Aida should still show up so often in our opera houses, and with the Met and
Convent Garden casts not being really able to hack it anymore.  I recall a really dreadful
Royal Opera Aida horribly conducted by Luisotti on BBC, that a merely unexciting Marcelo
Alvarez, I think, attempted to save, but could not.

There was still however once a day even Verdi's Aida was not too much of a challenge to
sing at the Metropolitan Opera.  With a cast like I read on paper for the past two weeks, I
was incapable of working up any enthusiasm for listening online on opening night, much
less for running to a local cinema last Saturday for something like this.

David H Spence