Re: Caballe's "Nozze" Countess

Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 12 Oct 2018 22:37:18 -0500

text/plain

Max:
     No doubt about it. Caballe' sounds so exquisite and beautiful here that it's surreal. It was, obviously, a truly great voice and it remained so until around 1980, I think. YouTube has a complete Caballe Isolde (probably from the Liceo) and I must admit that I found it very exciting indeed. One thing that I think everyone can agree on: she had a tremendous capacity to learn music. She performed an astonishing number of complete roles, and I'm sure that not all of them were totally successful, but when her imagination was engaged, and her voice was in it's best estate, she was an amazing singer.
     I heard her for the last time in 1995 at Ravinia Park (just a little outside of Chicago) where she sang a not especially demanding program (Otello, Gianni Schichi, some Zarsuela, and I can't remember what else) but she sang it with her voice pretty much intact, though it must be admitted that she attempted nothing at all taxing, and wasn't taking any chances. I believe she was 62 at the time.
     She was a very pretty lady in her younger days, and she was pretty thin. I cannot imagine what physical problem she had that caused her to balloon up to such huge proportions. I know that she didn't enjoy the best of health during the great years of her career. Lots of medical problems, according to a book I have about her.
     Whatever the case, it was a fabulous voice in it's prime. Having said that, I think she continued to sing in public for much too long a time. She was still giving recitals in Europe until she was eighty years old and she sounded every year of it.