Subject: Re: The Met Must Go Further - Re: Met to perform Sunday matinees begining in 2019-2020
From: Marc Shepherd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 15 Sep 2018 10:18:07 -0400

The article explained that when they perform on Sundays, Mondays will be
dark. So, they will still perform the same number of days per week.
Saturday matinees outsell weeknights by about 15–20%. It seems fairly
likely that by substituting a second matinee for a weekday, ticket sales
will go up.

The Met has wanted to make this change for years, long pre-dating the Gelb
era. La Scala, Paris Opera, Covent Garden, Vienna State Opera, Lyric Opera
of Chicago, and San Francisco Opera, are among the companies that have
already performed on at least *some* Sundays. The Met was way behind on
this.

By the way, the box office and gift shop are already open on Sundays, and
have been for a long time.

--
Marc Shepherd
New York, NY