Subject: Re: The Met Must Go Further - Re: Met to perform Sunday matinees begining in 2019-2020
From: William Prien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 15 Sep 2018 10:02:36 -0400

I, for one, am quite happy about this news. It seems the Met has made
this decision in a rather common sense sort of way.

For many Met opera-goers who live locally, myself included, attending an
opera during the week is difficult.

I live and work on Long Island, so for me to comfortably get to the Met
in time for a 7:30 or 8:00pm curtain, I have to leave work early, hop on
a train, and head into the city.

For opera starting earlier, I usually have to take 1/2 a vacation day
form work to attend.

Adding the Sunday matinees would greatly help opera-goes like me get to
more performances.

This season, for instance, I am trying to figure out which performance
of Aida with Sondras Radvanovsky I can make it to, since there is no
Saturday performance, matinee or evening.

Luckily, I bought tickets for the Aida matinee with Anna Netrebko well
in advance. It is now completely sold out.

Also, having long operas during the week are difficult too, especially
the longer Wagner operas that have to start at 6:00pm.

Having Monday as a dark night is also good idea.

I am glad the various unions have agreed to this. For many of them, I
don't think the Sunday matinees will be much of a change.

Many Met employees, such as stage hands, etc. already work on Sundays.

I have to give Peter Gleb a lot of credit for this one. He obviously saw
the importance of adding Sunday matinees  as a way for attracting more
audiences to the Met.

I am glad he was able to get this done, however it was done.

Bill