Subject: Re: The Met Must Go Further - Re: Met to perform Sunday matinees begining in 2019-2020
From: scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 16 Sep 2018 16:03:10 -0400

I'll be sad to see my Monday series go. I've had it for many years, and
I've kept as many as possible on Mondays when exchanging. So Monday is
opera night. I wouldn't, of course, begrudge the Met changing the day
off in the interest of higher sales. Thursday is Philharmonic night, and
Monday/Thursday is good spacing when we happen to have both in the same
week.

I actually prefer to go on weeknights, even though it means coming from
work and getting home late when I have to get up in the morning. My
subscription partner and I had dinner before operas and concerts more
often before the weekday starts moved to 7:30. It takes me at least 45
minutes to get to Lincoln Center from work in Queens, and at least an
hour to get home to Brooklyn afterward. I wouldn't mind earlier
finishes, but when I'm busy at work, getting there at 7:30 can be enough
of a challenge. The 7, 6:30 and 6pm starts (most of them operas we're
likely to see) take some extra planning.

And presumably the backstage/performer contracts still require a certain
amount of downtime between daytime rehearsal and evening performance, so
evenings couldn't regularly start much earlier.

--scott