Subject: Re: The Met Must Go Further - Re: Met to perform Sunday matinees begining in 2019-2020
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 16 Sep 2018 11:40:31 -0700

The pro's and con's are equally compelling.  I spent decades going to the
Met 20-30 times per season from the near suburbs.  I lived on the South
Shore of Long Island.  During the 70's, 80's and even 90's, travelling by
auto into the city was relatively easy.  I will say my drive 20 miles to
the Midtown Tunnel was the same as the ride a few miles from the tunnel
Manhattan side to the Met on the westside, but most times it took about an
hour total.  The LIRR (Long Island Rail Road) from my station, because of
the number of stops and the need to switch trains, took 50 minutes into
Penn Station then it was the subway to the Met.  I did that alot also.  But
as my mother got older, that was no longer an option, she still wanted to
go the Met but it had to be by auto.  This is something an aging population
has to face also.  Not everyone can negotiate public transportation,
especially a system that is not necessarily handicapped friendly - although
that has gotten much better.  Also, I worked. Arriving for a 7:30 curtain
and being able to have dinner before the opera necessitated leaving work
early.  So, there are pros and cons.  Driving home was usually pretty
quick. The train could be a problem if there were missed connections.

I do like the idea of Sunday matinees.  It is a great strain on the company
and its personnel to do two performances a day so adding a weekday matinee
would mean no evening performance.  I think the best solution is to leave
the weekday schedule as is.  If you are adding Sunday matinees, then by all
means keep the house dark one week night.  In the old days, Monday was the
"society night" and the night tob e seen at the Met, but I remember as  a
kid, lots of people formally dressed at the Met on Mondays also.  When I
was a teen, I would never have been allowed to go to the Met (or the
Philharmonic for that matter) without having at least a sport jacket on and
a tie.  Its a different world now and the Met I guess should get with the
program.

Donald