Subject: Re: The Met Must Go Further - Re: Met to perform Sunday matinees begining in 2019-2020
From: Marc Shepherd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 16 Sep 2018 11:37:58 -0400

These trade-offs are difficult. When I started attending, 8:00 was the
standard starting time for normal-length operas; that has since moved up to
7:30. An earlier start makes it easier for non-NYC residents to get home
after the performance. But it also makes it harder to arrive on time, if
you have to work a full day and perhaps want a bite to eat before the
performance.

I agree that adding more modern operas is probably not the answer. I would
venture that *La bohème*, *Aida*, and *Carmen* sell a lot better than
almost any 20th- or 21st-century work.

--
Marc Shepherd
New York, NY