Subject: Re: Maria Caniglia
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 8 Aug 2018 11:17:38 -0700

I have to agree with Bob on this one.  This is definitely a recording for
the ages.  The conducting by Gino Marinuzzi is in the tradition of
Toscanini, de Sabata, prime Serafin and Panizza.  A great reading of a
great score.  Forza has much of Verdi's best music.  Yes, its sprawls, yes
it meanders a bit, yes, its inspiration at times lags but at its best,
which is about 90% of the score.

Maria Caniglia, one of the truly great Italian dramatic soprano's of the
twentieth century, and the most important Italian soprano of the generation
before  Renata Tebaldi (Gina Cigna was French born and educated - a product
of the Conservatoire and a piano pupil of Alfred Cortot - and didn't arrive
in Milano until 1927 aged 27).  In her (Caniglia) opinion, the whole of the
Convent Scene was as close to God as you could get, utter perfection.  She
sings here  like her life depended upon it and her handling  of this music,
occasional flatting not withstanding, is divine. She was a great soprano
and here she is at her height - probably her greatest recorded moment.

Stignani does what she does best, sings magnificently.  Most consider her
the supreme Italian mezzo of her time and then some, of course, Simionato
and Minghini-Cattaneo have their partisans.

I can add nothing to what Bob has said about the men.  Masini was the owner
of a remarkable voice if not the greatest of musicality and intelligence.
Tagliabue is an honorable singer.  Bechi might have provided more glamour
and of course, the young Taddei might have been something to behold in this
music but he (Tagliabue)certainly holds up his end honorably.  Saturno
Meletti is among the best of recorded Melitone's and he can sing also.  As
for Pasero, he was the greatest Italian bass after Pinza and only just
slightly.  As far as I am concerned, he is still in prime voice here only
being 48 at the time.

Yes, this is perhaps my favorite Forza recording only challenged by the
1953 Scala under Mitropoulos with Tebaldi and of course the incredible
Naples performance from 1958 with Tebaldi, Corelli, Bastianini, Dominguez
and Christoff.  Honorable mention must also go to the Met performance from
1952 with Milanov, Tucker and Warren and the New Orleans from 1953 with
Milanov, Del Monaco and Warren, both probably Milanov's two best recorded
Forzas.

Donald