Subject: Re: Vote for Vogt
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 12 Aug 2018 21:59:15 -0400

Good looks are always an advantage, but when they are absent, and the
singer has everything else, I can still be satisfied, as I was in the OTELLO
and TANNHAUSER I heard/saw with Johann Botha.   That said, I am gratified
whenever Opera-Ls heavy hitters come to the defense of someone like Vogt
whom I happened to like in his Met performances.  Wasn't he well received
when he took over for a scheduled Lohengrin who called in sick?

That said, I wonder if I am alone in having heard my first complete LUISA
MILLER today, via PBS.   It began well with one of Verdi's better
overtures, and
I thought the plot was intriguing, the characters believable, and, with the
gold
curtain in place and working, I was all set for a revelation.  I should
have known
better. In his very next work, RIGOLETTO, Verdi pulled out all the melodic
stops which he had not touched in this one.  There's one great number for
the
tenor, but for the remaining two hours everybody has to work very hard
trying
to bring a musical blue print to life.  For most of the last act, one of
Schillers, or
Cammarano's,  or Verdi's worst set ups, a cup of poison, no less!, -  I was
longing
for the final close of that gorgeous curtain.

dtmk