Subject: Re: Maria Caniglia
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 8 Aug 2018 10:47:02 -0400

Hi Bill

I do not respond particularly well to that which many receive as
defining and even cathartic. What they hear as stupendous, I hear mostly
as squally and out of tune, but there is one recording that I can
recommend without reservation, "La Forza del Destino". It was made
by what we know today as RAI (Radio Italiana) and the cast is superb
from top to bottom -

Caniglia is a hurricane, in the best sense, full voiced and enormously
dramatic. Softer passages are most impressive. A great performance!
Stignani does as much as can be done with Preziosilla, Galliano
Masini has a fine voice with thrilling tops, Carlo Tagliabue displays his
usual intelligent, fine vocalism, with an admittedly modest voice,
and Tancredi Pasero as Guardiano will "knock your socks off". That was
a voice for the ages, even as late as 1941, (he debuted in 1917) when
this recording was made.

Gino Marinuzzi conducts magnificently, and it is in very good sound.
The recording was made at the Turin EIAR studios.

Bob