Subject: Re: Klaus Florian Vogt
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 12 Aug 2018 15:40:56 -0400

<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

"I guess we have lowered our standards for that repertoire, at least for those of
us who have heard some of the really best in those roles."

* * * * * * *

Hmmmm. . . let'd see:  Melchior, Heppner, Vickers, Konya, Vinay,
Domingo,Thomas, King, Kollo, Hopf, I think that's enough tenors for me to know
how this music can and should come across. and I'll still put Vogt in that
company. The additional plus, is that he'd happenin now, as opposed to a past,
well remembered, or not.

As Mr. Rideout noted, not every performance can be measured on vocal splendor,
nor should it be.  No, Vogt does not have the plushness of sound of these
previous names, that has never been disputed, and is brought up in nearly every
discussion about him.  What he does have, and exhibits in spades,is a command
of the vocal line, a unique ability to masterfully shape a phrase into something
energetic and moving in a way that many more traditionally beautifully voiced
singers may not always reach, or even attempt.  He brings these characters to life
in a manner that while, perhaps sui generis, nonetheless mesmerizes audiences to
the point where by evening's end we feel as though we've just gone through the
journey with the singer.

To say, "I've heard better," without offering back-up, or how/why another singer
was better, is, for me, a useless estimation.

p.