Subject: Re: Everything Old is Old Again
From: Paul Ricchi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 12 Aug 2018 15:39:27 -0400

I think the problem may be that the “content” of the vinyl and shellac
(both music and artists) is easily available digitally. Educational
institutions are not museums - except for the unique and rare. They are not
going to devote space and resources to something they do not need - nor
should they.

Opera and “classical”, both on vinyl and CDs, were simply a small part of a
large market that has shrunk.

The market for all of this stuff is razor thin.

I subscribe to several record collector lists, the most interest in 78s
seems to be for early jazz, and blues.  There are also some collectors
interested primarily in collecting all of the many varieties of labels from
the early 1900’s. They have an appreciation for the colors and design.

I have thousand of CDs; vinyl and shellac discs. I will enjoy them until I
die or lose the faculties to appreciate them. Then they will become someone
else’s problem.