Subject: Re: Plot failures (was perfect operas)
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 10 Aug 2018 13:32:58 -0400

On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 16:58:35 +0000, Rich Lowenthal wrote (in part):

"So it's not really a matter of Verdi, Mozart, etc. seeing past the deficiencies, for
to them it was not a deficiency at all, merely the way theater was."

I thought I was, but may not have been clear:  i stated 'perceived deficiencies,"
meaning on the part of list members finding the plots silly or trivial,not on the
part of the composers.

Every era has its theatrical conventions (and every other kind of convention) and,
while not necessary for audiences to keep up with them, many, if not most who
purport to love and enjoy theatre might do well to look into the conventions of
whatever piece they're approaching.  We have many repertory companies that put
on plays from every era, including Sanskrit, ancient Greek,Restora Kabuki . . . not
to mention . . . y'know, Billy Shakespeare.  While an audience member has every
right to expect to be entertained for the mere fact of having purchased a ticket,
they should not expect to be spoon fed, nor to leave their brain at the door.  ALL
theatre demands something from its audience.

Trovatore . . . and many more great operas have been around for centuries.  If
someone with a lifetime of opera going STILL has problems keeping fromcracking
up over "perceived" deficiencies in the tales accompanying these wondrous works,
it might be time to examine exactly why these works continue to sell, are still
performed and revered by so many, audiences, scholars, and performers alike.

p.