Subject: Re: Perfection in Opera
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 10 Aug 2018 09:56:23 -0500

This addresses a point I made to my friends the other night while watching the Boheme video I mentioned. Neither gentlemen knew that there had been two operas written based on the Murger work. I explained the circumstances surrounding the genesis of both operas and opined that the superiority of the Giacosa / Illica libretto contributed greatly to the ultimate acceptance of Puccini’s Boheme (which also of course has superior music) over the years. Leoncavallo wrote his own libretto. His skill wasn’t equal to the libretto Puccini was fortunate to work with.

Kurt Youngmann

> On Aug 10, 2018, at 9:16 AM, Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> My list of 4 sort of perfect operas, Boheme, Falstaff, Figaro and
> Meistersinger, are my idea of an ideal coming together of text
> and music, but the silliness of, say,

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.