Subject: Perfection in Opera
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 10 Aug 2018 10:16:12 -0400

For me, and I imagine for many others, that which might rightly
be dismissed as nonsense in opera libretti is often redeemed by
great singers who understand that there are universal truths in
those silly dramatic devices, and who know how to convey those
emotions in purely vocal terms.

Composers as great as Verdi, often used stories as nothing more than
vehicles (excuses) for superb music whose emotional content
can bring gasps from audiences who might, in a non musical setting,
laugh it and those performing it, off the stage.

My list of 4 sort of perfect operas, Boheme, Falstaff, Figaro and
Meistersinger, are my idea of an ideal coming together of text
and music, but the silliness of, say, Trovatore, can be and often
is equally effective when singers are able to express its content
with affection and conviction.

So it is, and so it has always been - for most of us, music and its
power to engage our own emotions are paramount.

Bob