Subject: Re: Plot failures (was perfect operas)
From: tom ponti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 10 Aug 2018 11:47:35 +0000

For me, opera is about great voices singing great music. It is sort of a escapism from reality in a land of enchantment. A long time ago I attended a concert performance of an obscure opera, by either Bellini or Donizetti , I can't even remember the name of now. The reason I went to CH that night was Cablle, whose voice and singing I was in love with at that time. The program had the plot, which was about 4 paragraphs long. After about reading a paragraph and a half, I gave up as I was totally confused, as the story was so confusing. Though I had practically no idea what She and others were singing about, I totally enjoyed the performance because of the singing and voices, primarily Caballe's. The was a saying many years ago to the effect that "If you want great drama and acting, go to Broadway. If you want to hear great voices, go to the Met. Old fashioned and simple as that may seem today, that is what I think of opera, great voices singing great music. Trovatore is a crazy story, but what fabulous music, especially when sung by the likes of: Price, Milanov, Caballe, Bergonzi, Tucker, Corelli, Merrill, Warren, Milnes, Cappuccilli, Barbieri, Simionato, Cossotto, Verrett, and Zajak, among others.