Subject: Re: CARMEN JONES
From: Martin Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 9 Aug 2018 16:07:34 -0400

Orchestra also included a French Horn and a “wind player”!

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

On Thursday, August 9, 2018, kos <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Those outside NYC might not be aware that an off-Broadway revival of CARMEN
JONES is running at the Classic Staged Company. Carmen is played by Annika Noni
Rose and the production is directed by John Doyle (the director who had the
actors playing the instruments for his productions of SWEENEY TODD and COMPANY).

As a reminder, CARMEN JONES was Oscar Hammerstein II's adaptation of the opera
to a format that resembles a Broadway musical. Made in 1943, the action is
updated to a munitions factory during World War II (one of the charaters
explains it's a former cigarette factory). The Escamillo character, renamed
"Husky Miller," is a boxer.

The production reminds me of the recent Broadway version of PORGY AND BESS - so
much is cut out that the production seems more like an enactment of a
"highlights" album with dialogue to bridge the songs. (I saw a version of CARMEN
JONES about 17 years ago - the dialogue makes it long and the dialect makes it
embarrassing to hear). Thankfully Doyle has removed all the dialect and has
coaxed some pretty seering performanes out of the players. Rose is very good at
Carmen, though her Don Jose (called Joe) was stretching his resources a bit. the
Frasquita was also very good.

Sadly, the orchestra (reduced to piano, violin, cello, double bass, trumpet and
clarinet) was frequently out of tune though that did not affect the singers.
Tempos were a bit on the slow side but I suppose that was to enable the audience
to really understand the words.

So musically it may be rough, but the performers however are really top notch.
Recommend, even if only as a curio.

blog: http://www.nypl.org/blog/author/44 Twitter: @kos2
Listowner: OPERA-L ; SMT-ANNOUNCE ; EXLIBRIS-L ; SoundForge-users