Subject: Re: Perfection in opera (was Re[2]: 2008 film of la boheme - question)
From: James Bodge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 9 Aug 2018 11:44:57 -0400

Hello, Rich  -
I agree with most of your preferences, but I still think too much
emphasis is made on things that should (or shouldn't) be cut. I don't
like to make lists, even informally, but I also don't judge an opera's
quality by its length. The effect of a performance of MEISTERSINGER can
be overwhelming, and doing it uncut only increases that. JENUFA doesn't
need abbreviating, just expert direction and it flies by. I'll stop
before I go into list "mode".

Besides some cuts just don't make sense themselves.

Jim Bodge

--
James Bodge

You only need two things: WD-40 and Duct Tape.  If something moves and
it shouldn't, use the Duct Tape.  If it won't move and it should, use
the WD-40.