Subject: Re: Maria Caniglia
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 8 Aug 2018 19:57:33 -0500

Don:
    I've heard a great deal about this early Cetra recording of "Forza" (starring Maria Caniglia) but I've not been fortunate enough to hear it myself. I own the 1953 Mitropoulos performance from Florence and I'm still struck dumb by the sheer vocal beauty that Tebaldi possessed at the time (and these were her first performances of the role of Donna Leonora).  She is somewhat less plushy on her 1955 studio recording on London/Decca, and I'm not as carried away as some are) by the 1958 performance from Naples. For me, that 1953 Florence performance preserves what I consider the ultimate of Tebaldi's vocal endowment.  I also confess a great affection for the November, 1952 Met broadcast with Milanov, Tucker, and Warren.  To my ears, this broadcast preserves the greatest of Milanov's broadcast performances.
    I'm going to listen to the Maria Caniglia recording (I have a friend who owns it and every other Forza recording!).  I would assume that Caniglia was in better voice than she was on the Gigli/Stignani "Aida" or the "Ballo" with Gigli and Barbieri (I find both of those recorded performances to be rather disappointing).
    So I'm anxious to experience this recording of "Forza" and I'm going to hope that I find it as much of a revelation as I've been led to believe.