Subject: O ma lyre immortelle
From: David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 14 Jul 2018 05:03:54 +0000

I too have loved this arias since the first time I heard it sung by Crespin. Yet another memorable, influential piece of music created for/by Pauline Viardot-Garcia, surely among the most important singers ever in this regard. The opera's tenor was Louis Gueymard,  who also created roles in other Gounod operas (LA NONNE SANGLANTE, LA REINE DE SABA) plus Henri in LES VEPRES SICILIENNES.

It is certainly not (in the historical sense) reminiscent of Massenet, who was after all only nearing his 9th birthday when the opera was premiered! But Massenet certainly wrote music reminiscent of this aria, notably  "Pleurez, mes yeux" from LE CID.

John Hebel, you're in luck: Gounod's SAPHO (note spelling) will be done at Washington Concert Opera on Sunday Nov 18 at 6 pm with Kate Lindsey in the name part.

There's quite a fine version of the aria on YT by Viorica Cortez, one of the best recordings by her I've heard.
Masenet's SAPHO, a very different kettle of fish, was performed in NYC in 1979, with Elisabeth Soderstroem and Donald Grobe in 1979, a year after it was recorded by Renee Doria.
Best - David Shengold