Subject: is it just me that thinks this?
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 13 Jul 2018 22:34:57 -0400

I found these posts on the Gounod "Sappho" aria "O ma lyre immortelle" very interesting so I
played all three versions that I own.  Then I went to YouTube and found a ton of different
versions, most by singers I didn't even know.  As I kept listening to this aria repeatedly, I
found that (to my ears) the musical structure of the piece bears some resemblance to Verdi's
"Pace, Pace, Mio Dio".  The minor key verses (sans a huge Verdi orchestral interlude in the
middle), the chesty low note in each verse, and then the conclusion, which reminded me
strongly of the final two vocal notes of "Pace, Pace", with that lunge to a top A or B flat.
      Am I a little crazy?  I don't know which opera was written first because I've been too busy
to check it out.  Still, I DEFINITELY hear a musical parallel between these two very different
arias.
      Has anyone else noticed this?  If I'm judged insane, I'll seek out a support group to get
over it.
                                 Have a great weekend y'all"

                                            Les/Chicago