Subject: Re: O ma lyre immortelle
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 13 Jul 2018 13:24:13 -0700

I have been in love with this aria since I first heard it on Marilyn
Horne's initial two LP recital for Decca where she sang among other things
Abscheulicher, O pretres du bal and the Assisa a pie d'un salice from
Rossini's Otello.  I hope my memory is good on that one.  The next was of
course the great Regine Crespin and I still feel Crespin's is my favorite.
I believe before she recorded it for Decca, its on an early French recital
from the late 1950's.  Anything Shirley Verrett did was magnificent so no
quibble from this quarter.

When I heard Anita Rachvelishveli sing it at this years Bastille Day
celebrations I was absolutely floored by the glorious tone, feeling and
superb muscianship.  She is one of the best of the new generation and with
Jamie Barton, for me at least, the cream of the crop among the mezzos.  (I
hope I haven't offended anyone with this statement).  I am not sure if
Sappho has been done, either years ago by the American Opera Society or
later by Eve Queler and Opera Orchestra of New York.  Somewhere in the back
of my brain I think Crespin did it in NYC but it might have been the the
Massenet Sappho.  Either way, its a gorgeous aria and I have always been a
fan of Gounod.  DIdn't they call the old Met the Faustshpielhaus....it
opened and closed with Faust and Faust and Romeo et Juliette were always
prominent in its rep.  Indeed, Gounod was one of the composers immortalized
on the proscenium along with Mozart, Gluck, Verdi and Wagner.  (Hope I got
that right).

Donald

Donald