Subject: Question re Callas Remasterings on SACD
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 13 Jul 2018 12:52:29 -0400

I recently got an Oppo Blu Ray player (replacing an old Sony CD player) which has
transformed my listening experience; I feel like I am hearing my Klipsch Cornwalls for the
first time.  (Proof of the old adage that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.)  I have
listened to the Decca Ring in Blu Ray and the Price/Solti "Aida" and Nilsson/Leinsdorf
"Turandot" in SACD, all revelatory listening experiences (notwithstanding the original
problematic sonics of the latter).

I have also listened to some of the Warner Callas releases (I have the complete set) played
on my new toy, and of course they sound wonderful.  But I was wondering - are any of
these remasterings available in SACD at anything other than truly outrageous prices from
Japan?  The Decca Blu Ray issues are priced very reasonably, particularly the Ring, which at
$62.00 (a single disc) came out to less than $4.50 per disc for the equivalent on CD.

Also, to what extent has EMI (I guess I should say Warner) jumped on the SACD/Blu Ray
bandwagon with its classic recordings?  Doing a search on Amazon for my favorite
EMI/Angel oldies, I don't see very many.

Finally, what is SACD Hybrid and how does it differ, if it does, from SACD?

MDW