Subject: Re: New Yorkers: Lohengrin alert
From: Michael Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 13 Jul 2018 08:53:33 -0400

The viewing room for Lohengrin (from Dresden) last night at Symphony Space
in Manhattan was pretty full, including Eve Queler, who gave us so many
memorable evening including several Rienzis a long time ago.. The staging
was eminently forgettable, but the Thielemann-led Orchestra and chorus
magnificent, as well as much of the singing. I liked Nebtrebko, not likely
to hear as full-voiced an Elsa again, and Herlitzius was magnificent as
Ortrud. Every once in awhile Beczala's voice reminds me of Gedda's, I have
not read what he thought of trying on the role, but thought it was a bit of
a strain occasionally. He obviously has decided to do it again.... and
Tomasz Koniecny was a riveting villain. Great evening.