Subject: Gian Carlo Menotti's "The Consul"
From: Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 10 Jul 2018 20:59:24 -0400

I just returned from a 4 hour drive to the Saratoga Opera in Saratoga
Springs yesterday.  Not expecting a stellar cast, surprisinglyI was brought
to my knees by the best production, singers and entire cast, I have ever
seen of this opera (and the is coming from a Patricia Neway fanatic!)
Ask me what opera role I would most want to play and my answer without
a doubt would be Magda Sorel.

This creative production leaves all the others I've seen and heard in the
dust.  Every singer was superb. Kudos to the Magician who breaks the
depressive air with some great comic relief.  The Mother singing "I Shall
Find for you Shells and Stars" was heartbreaking.  Magda's husband John
had a wonderful bass-baritone voice and the Secretary was properly a cold
bitch. (At curtain calls she took her bow and mouthed to the audience, "I'm
sorry!").

But the day clearly belonged to Meghan Kasanders in the role of Magda
Sorel who, as a most incredible singer as well as mesmerizing actress,
managed to leave all the rest who've tried the role in the dust (and only 23
years old!).  How she did it I'll never know.  Her rendition of "To This We've
Come" left the audience shattered.
The role is an exhausting one and she pulled it off.  She's nothing short of
a singular tour de force.  Remember her name.

The final production is Sunday, July 15 at 2 pm.  If you are an opera freak
and live within a 5 hour drive, I urge you to get a ticket stat.  Life is too
short.  You owe it to yourself to see a show that will absolutely knock your
socks off.