Subject: Re: 1979 Don Carlo
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 8 Jul 2018 12:39:52 +0200

I remember that performance (that one in particular as it was the Friday broadcast). Brendel and Aragall made for an opulent display of handsomeness.

I was a big Tomowa Sintow fan but she disappointed me; she seemed more disengaged than usual and the sound seemed more in the back of the throat. I think she sounds better on the broadcast than she did in the house.

I was impressed by the Philip (Nesterenko?) but thought they could have left the Eboli (Livia Budai) wherever they found her. They had to cut the Veil Song to one verse because she couldn’t sing the shakes and staccati.

I remember nervousness when Rodrigo was shot. There was a sniper in the Civic Center area that night and police were carefully escorting crowds.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone