Subject: Zara Dolukhanova, a mezzo ( was: Vishnevskaya)
From: David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 10 Jul 2018 20:14:52 +0000

 Interesting that this truly astonishing mezzo, whom I sometimes think of for her artistry and style as "the Soviet Jennie Tourel"-- I say 'Soviet' since since she-- nee "Makarian" in Moscow-- and Pavel Lisitsian were Armenians, not Russians, though their diction in Russian is stunning--became a soprano and performed as such for 7-8 years ( she was mainly a radio and concert singer, by the way). She gave the USSR premiere of both SUOR ANGELICA ( as the lead) and Strauss' 'Vier Letzte Lieder' and also sang Norma!
Best- David Shengold