Subject: Re: Vishnevskaya
From: Russ Geschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 10 Jul 2018 12:22:53 -0500

Re Felia Litvinne (1860/1863-1936):  There was on YouTube a 20-minute
excerpt (now gone) of a 1963 French television interview with Germaine Lubin
in which after praising Flagstad as having a "voix incomparable" in response
to the question "Whose was the greatest voice you ever heard?" immediately
answered "Felia Litvinne."  Litvinne had a huge international career, and
was also one of the teachers of Lubin as well as Nina Koshetz.  Marston
Records issued several years ago a CD set of all of Litvinne's records --
Wagner, Meyerbeer, Saint-Saens, Verdi, Donizetti, Faure, Gounod, Napravnik,
Rubinstein, you get the idea, the lady was versatile.  To continue the list
of important historic Russian singers, one could also add Koshetz, Maria
Kuznetsova, and Oda Slobodskaya; there are many more, as you indicated.