Subject: Re: Vishnevskaya
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 10 Jul 2018 10:11:01 -0400

[log in to unmask] wrote (in part):

“I woud not confuse being on the right side of issues with being famous or popular.
popular.”

I don’t believe I did.

“BTW, Raymond Ericson's review of her Met Tosca contains not one word
about that performance, at least as quoted by you.”

I was posting a portion of Ms. Vishnevskaya’s obituary, not “quoting” Mr.
Ericson’s review.  Perhaps you missed that.

“First off. they were not breaking down any doors to see her at the Met.
She sang exactly 6 performances there . . . which were not sold out, and
she returned 14 years later for a single Tosca . . .”

Perhaps they were not breaking down any doors at the Met, but every
recital, and other appearance I saw of hers, was, if not entirely sold out,
nonetheless announced as such and, once inside, one was met with halls
pretty well packed.  I recall a series of “War Requiems” with the National
Symphony where every ticket was snatched up well in advance of the
performances, as was the case of several other Kennedy Center
performances where zero tickets were to be had for non-subscribers or
those lacking other connections. (I’m brought to mind of Mr. Beczala’s
recent Carnegie Hall recital announced as “sold out” with many on the
sidewalk holding signs for a ticket, yet once in the auditorium one
discovered row-upon-row of empty seats.)

“The fame that some find in history books is "oft interred with their bones".

And sometimes, it lasts forever.  Predicting the future is foolhardy, but,
having one’s legacy aligned with an institution bearing one’s name
generally guarantees a few generations worth of inquisitive folk wanting to
know what the name on the building stands for.   See you at Netrebko Hall.
Hall.

p.