Subject: Re: Rubato
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 9 Jul 2018 21:03:47 -0400

There are also various types of rubato, and I think making the distinction is important.

Generally, rubato in classical music and opera is a collaborative thing - the
accompaniment bends to accommodate the freedom in the melody, whether that melodic
line belong to a singer, an instrumental soloist, or a section of orchestral players, etc.
Everyone slows down or speeds up to stay in sync with the prominent line. Obviously, it's
what a pianist does while employing rubato in Chopin, for instance - the left hand
accompaniment "waits" for the nuance in the right hand.

In popular music, including all the jazz/cabaret singers (etc) mentioned in earlier posts,
and also in pop/rock styles, the technique is more commonly called "backphrasing." The
accompaniment keeps the beat no matter what, and the singer is free to sing "over the
bar" / "behind the bar" etc. Most often it's about delaying the start of a phrase, or
extending beyond the end of where we feel the phrase, hence, the melody is "back"
behind the beat - ergo, the term backphrasing.

I don't think that "forephrasing" (singing ahead of the beat) is really a term per se,
though at times that happens too. However, it's fun to listen to someone like Noel Coward
sing his own patter songs at such a crazy clip with often ever-changing tempi, that the
pianist ls left scrambling to catch up. ;-)

For instance - https://youtube.com/watch?v=GcBr3rosvNQ&t=92s

One of the most extreme and ridiculous examples of backphrasing is from the film of
Jesus Christ Superstar, as Ted Neeley sings SO back of the beat in "Gethsemane," that
he's at times multiple bars off. Somehow, though, he always catches up. ;-)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2QW2Wh1OZBA

On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 10:21:19 -0400, R PRADA <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> Agreed. Without it everyone would sound like a machine - in order to make sense of
text and interpret, rubato is a sine qua non. So really, the best way to point it out would
be to find someone who is a human metronome. That would be its absence.

>You are not likely to find people like that who have ascended very far in the profession -
it is required of all players and singers.