Subject: Re: Vishnevskaya
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 9 Jul 2018 17:22:21 -0400

I've been following this discussion that branched out in several
interesting directions. What a fascinating read.

Let me chime in with a few thoughts...
Re: Verdi's REQUIEM with Markevitch and Vishnevskaya. I wasn't even aware
of this performance until I read praises on this forum. It must be heard to
be believed. Bob and Paul put it in words much better than I could. An
unbelievable experience.

I agree with Bob about Markevitch. I haven't yet heard a recording of his
that has not put me in awe. He was a wizard!

I'm with David about Chaliapin but also completely concur that Vishnevskaya
has been the greatest soprano to emerge from Russia. I have been a recent
convert to Netrebko, whose transformed voice and repertory bring out the
artistry from her that I hardly ever sensed in her earlier, mostly
"lighter", roles. Nonetheless, except perhaps for her Lady Macbeth, she
doesn't even come close to Vishnevskaya.

Supreme artistry and commercial stardom are not always closely related,
which I can't see more evident than in Vishnevskaya's case.

Many thanks to Donald, Bob, Angelo, and others for sharing your memories.
How much I wish I had witnessed her live but your generous reminiscences
more than compensate for that. It makes someone like me feel as if I was
there.

My final comment is not about opera, but on Rostropovich as a cellist. His
music-making radiates with his extraordinary humanity and musicianship.
That said, I find myself even more taken by the supremely poetic cello
playing by his contemporary Daniil Shafran who unfortunately stayed behind
the Iron Curtain (not sure why... I'm not familiar with his biography) and
regrettably never achieving Rostropovich's fame to be better known in the
West. To hear each of them interpreting differently the same piece can be
fascinating and quite rewarding. I don't know how many cello lovers are on
this list, but, even if a few, I hope they are familiar with Shafran as
well.

Best, Vesna