Subject: Re: Vishnevskaya
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 9 Jul 2018 17:00:38 -0400

It sounds just about right to me, and I am not a Netrebko
fan.

I woud not confuse being on the right side of issues with being
famous or popular.

First off. they were not breaking down any doors to see her at the
Met. She sang exactly 6 performances there, 4 Aidas and 1 Butterfly
in 1961, which were not sold out, and she returned 14 years later
for a single Tosca. I loved her, and lots of other opera goers loved her,
but she didn't take New York or the Met by storm. I attended 2 of her
NYC recitals and they were decently attended, no more.

Anna Netrebko, like her or not, and I don't, is a megastar just about
everywhere. Her name on a poster has, does and will continue to
assure sold out house just about anywhere she appears. There is
no comparison in name recognition between her and Vishnevskaya.

BTW, Raymond Ericson's review of her Met Tosca contains not one
word about that performance, at least as quoted by you. I assure
you, it was wonderful!

The fame that some find in history books is "oft interred with their bones".

Bob