Subject: Re: Sesto's Parto
From: Stephen Charitan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 9 Jul 2018 16:45:41 -0400

You must not have much experience with Opera Seria...and how Ponnelle
effectively (in my opinion) pushed the envelope in his many productions for
a modern audience...These were labeled  "Exit arias" where the subject
character would state his / her position then "exit" the stage for the next
character to do the same.  What Ponnelle did was keep the "opposing" and
"silent" character on stage to react to what was being
expressed...something one would hope a perceptive, regie trained
viewer/listener would understand.  It's all there in VItellia's (Carol
Neblett's) reaction shots - you just have to LOOK and THINK...