Subject: Vishnevskaya in recital
From: Angelo Mammano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 9 Jul 2018 16:04:21 -0400

The first time I saw her live was here at Jordan Hall in a recital which for
which I have no date but which happened of course  many years ago.  It
was I believe before her Met appearance.  I had known about her and
made sure that I would see her in her local debut.  She was a very exciting
artist and I loved her voice.   What  I remember in particular was her Pace,
pace.  She sang the ending "come scritto".  It was the first time that I had
heard it that way, having listened to it many times before on recordings
and Met broadcasts and never the way she did it.  It is written so that "zio"
is held for two full measures on F  and then a sudden leap to "ne" on B
flat.  The more common practice is to sing "maledi" in the second measure
and then to the B flat for "zion".  It is much much better this way.  It gives
the soprano the opportunity to prolong the final note of the aria.

Angelo from Boston