Subject: Re: Vishnevskaya
From: James Camner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 9 Jul 2018 10:02:28 -0700

Chaliapin was the dominant singer of his time even more famous world wide
than Caruso, a huge force. We have no singers today who can compare to him
in any way except for Netrebko, but in a far lesser sense..

Vishnevskaya, a wonderful singer was never the top soprano in her time,
undoubtedly that was Callas.

There are surely many more important Russian sopranos, historically, than
Vishnevskaya, let's start with Medea Mei Figner (an Italian who became a
Russian colossus), Felia Litvinne, and probably the most important of all,
Antonina Nezhdanova.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06Nxl-bMW9U

(From my days of selling autographs, I never had anyone ask for one of
Vishnevskaya, though her husband Rostropovich was a brisk seller.)

Netrebko stands alone in this era, she has no rivals as a star, she's far
more famous than Vishnevskaya was, in that way she's like Chaliapin, but on
a much smaller stage, opera singers are no longer the world's premiere
entertainment stars as they were in Chaliapin's day, they barely register
in today's cultural zeitgeist and I doubt any of them including Netrebko
have an income to compare to the top pop singers. Like Chaliapin,
Netrebko's talents are less vocal than dramatic.  It's fair to ask if
Netrebko is the last international opera star. I believe she might prove to
be so, but one never knows what's around the corner and already sitting
here on the West Coast, I feel out of it a bit. But happily so!

Regarding Russian singers, there are some expert members of this list who
really know this subject much better than me!

James Camner

.