Subject: Galina Vishnevskaya
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 9 Jul 2018 12:41:33 -0400

Her single Tosca at the Met was among my most memorable.
She looked spectacular and totally dominated the visual aspects
of the performance. Her vocalism was equally extraordinary,
particularly the dynamic range, from the softest piani to the
most secure forte top Cs. It was somethin'!

The Markevitch recording of the Manzoni Requiem was a revelation.
I had no idea that any singer could sound instrumental in the way
that she did in the "Agnus Dei" and a number of other moments
when her voice was most exposed. If I didn't know otherwise, I
would have believed I was listening to a violin or a cello. I still get
goosebumps when I hear it. It was and remains, one of the wonders
of the recording era, and Markevitch was her equal.

Bob