Subject: Re: Vishnevskaya (was Re: Heather Harper)
From: Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 9 Jul 2018 14:38:13 +0000

I don't think anyone has yet mentioned one of Vishnevskaya's greatest
and most historic recordings--the first complete set of the original
version of "Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk", also under the direction of
Rostropovich. Both were friends of Shostakovich whose career never
recovered from Stalin's dislike of Lady Macbeth; Shostakovich later
reworked the opera into a more pallid version, Katerina Ismaloiva. His
later works were far more conventional and conservative as he tried to
tread a line between artistic integrity and official acceptance. Lady
Macbeth is one of the great works of 20th century music and Vishnevskaya
gives an extraordinary performance in the recording, plumbing the
psychological depths of a truly remarkable operatic character.
Rostropovich was an ideal partner, producing an inspired, passionate
interpretation of a difficult score. (For those interested in a
fictional rendering of Shostakovich's life, I recommend William
Vollmann's "Europe Central"--a fictionalized history of 20th century
Europe built around the lives of real people).

To echo the mention of Elisabeth Soderstrom--one of my favorite singers,
she was a noted interpreter of Russian music, including songs of
Tchaikovsky, Mussorgsky, Shostakovich and Rachmaninov (and her last Met
performances were in the Queen of Spades). I wonder whether there was
another singer who performed in so many different languages--and always
with absolutely impeccable diction and attention to words.