Subject: Re: rubato
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 9 Jul 2018 08:21:21 -0400

Regardless of their individual qualifications, sweeping Ella Fitzgerald,
Adelina Patti, and Marian Anderson together in any statement is barely
worth the two cents you should have offered.

Rubato, in fact, is such an integral part of all music making, that ordinary
competence in its use is to be expected from singers or instrumentalists.
For my money, what so called "mastery" of it is likely to yield, would be
better described as affectation, stylization, or worse - the deliberate
distortion of a melodic line.

dtmk