Subject: Fwd: Callas' 1965 Met Toscas
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 8 Jul 2018 20:22:53 -0400

From the Opera-l archives.

Particularly for Mr. Pavl

And for the record!

---------- Forwarded message ---------

On Thu, 2 May 2013 07:05:40 -0400, Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hello everybody

(Comment deleted concerning booing Tito Gobbi. Irrelevant)

The first performance was a Guild Benefit and the atmosphere was
beyond electric.  Everyone received huge applause, and Maria's entrance
was one of those "never to be forgotten" moments.  It was nuts!

The second was a regular subscription performance and, as would be
expected, did not have the same aura of history or moment, but
it was very well received.  "Nuts" was left at the front door.

Callas sang with small but lovely tone in Act One, and no one in my
experience inflected the music quite as beautifully.  Act Two was poor
only during "Vissi d'arte", which was not a thing of beauty.  The
third act was better forgotten vocally, and the top C in "io quella lama"
had a wobble as wide as the Lincoln Tunnel.  It was scary!

Still, her return remains the most vivid among all my operatic memories,
and I wouldn't trade it for anything!

BTW, she looked sensational. The visual image of her and Corelli in the
first act was as breathtaking as this stuff ever gets.

Bob