Subject: Baritones Who Can Trill (was Re: 1979 Don Carlo)
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 8 Jul 2018 16:18:54 -0400

On Sat, 7 Jul 2018 20:23:49 -0400, Godfrey Daniels <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

"What other baritones can trill? Hvorostovsky didn't."

Ah, but he did.  I've heard him sing a well-placed, perfectly executed trill in Posa's "Per me
giunto."  As to other baritones who can trill, one will often hear them in that same aria some
better than others, and admittedly, some with no trill at all - which always throws me off.

I've heard a number of baritones today who can thrill with the trill, among them; Thomas
Hampson, Simon Keenlyside, Mariusz Kwiecien, and Dwayne Croft (a surprisingly good
Rodrigo!)

p.