Subject: Re: the real final night at the old Met 1966
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 14 Jun 2018 14:00:11 -0400

R. Stuart wrote:

"Fantastic photo. Stokowski on the podium and Jeritza in the front row - I assume
it's the closing gala."

It is the closing gala, but I don't think that is Jeritza.  I was listening recently to an extensive
account (courtesy of Donald Collup) by Alfred Hubay, the House Manager at the Old Met, of
the closing gala, including a detailed discussion of the Honored Guests.  He said that Jeritza
was not at the Gala because her husband was very ill (he died just a few weeks later).  Hubay
said that if Jeritza had been at the Gala, she would undoubtably have been sitting in the front
row rather than on the stage, and that she would have been recognized along with the other
Honored Guests by standing in place.  But she wasn't.  So, that elegant elderly lady in the
front row of the photo probably isn't Jeritza, at least according to Hubay (who should know -
his responsibility that night was shepherding the Honored Guests to and from backstage).

Incidentally, Donald Kane is starting to sound like the late, obsessively-pigheaded ACD, on the
subject of the columns!  Time to give that one a rest.

MDW