Subject: Re: the real final night at the old Met 1966
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 8 Jun 2018 14:08:30 -0400

There was what I think must have been a repeat of an older documentary on
the transition from the old to the new Met (Leontyne Price was completely
disarming in her appreciation of how great a singer she was -- that's a real
diva).  I thought the documentary was very sophisticated in its presentation
of the kind of thinking that was typical in the NY of Robert Moses, and for
that matter, Rudolph Bing.

My question is this.  There must be only a few people left on the List who
remember the old house.  Do you feel there should have been steps taken to
make it more practical rather than tearing it down?  It may be my
imagination, but once the technology gets good enough I hear on the Sirius
broadcasts a kind of very particular resonance from the the original house
that the new house utterly  lacks.  It's different from, but almost as
pronounced as Bayreuth, whose broadcasts you can identify just from the sound.

I realize that many seats had obstructed views, there was no place to store
productions, etc., etc.  But should the old Met have been saved, and would
our changed perceptions of historic architecture be able to do it today?

David Kubiak