Subject: Re: the real final night at the old Met 1966
From: Marc Shepherd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 13 Jun 2018 08:03:43 -0400

A renovation to permanently remove the Family Circle would be very
expensive. Although the Met no longer routinely sells out, there ARE times
it does, and on those occasions the revenue from those seats would no
longer be available. So, the net effect of this proposal is to spend a lot
of money on a renovation that reduces revenue on the best nights, and also
robs the theater of its most affordable seats. I could see the argument for
building a smaller theater in the first place, but it's hard to see the
benefits of making that change now.

The small 1,500-seat "mini Met" was much talked-about in James Levine's
heyday, but he was unable to make it happen. The reasons ought to be
obvious. Opera does not make money anywhere. The only question is how you
cover the deficits: government subsidies in Europe, deep-pocketed donors
here. So, exactly how would this put the Met in "greater financial health"?
No, it would mean they have two money-losing theaters to pay for, rather
than one.

--
Marc Shepherd
New York, NY